Friday, March 15, 2013

Ri-Pdub Joint Spring Break!









To all the home slices out there:

            I know I’ve been a little off the blog-grid, this is partially because I forgot I had my gmail to which all the stuff about the blog and Glange--your messages, have been coming, but thanks to the memory of moms, I can do it all now! Also many apologies for the long post, I know you guys don’t have much time, but maybe you’ll read it piecewise…
            I wanted to give a little update about Ri’s trip out to visit me like a week ago, cuz it was good times, fun POW! He got into Ontario at like 4 in the afternoon, and of course I went to pick him up, but we did run into a little trouble. See, I had bio lab (a long one mind you) and I don’t think I finished until 5 (with rushing). I had a zipcar booked with my friend to go get Ri, but turns out she lost her keycard to pickup the card in some bag somewhere. So I got my lab partner to book a car later on for 5:30 (you need a membership to get a zipcar). Soooo: got the zipcar…Drove it! Got lost! haha and eventually found Rily watching some 30 Rock on his phone. Pretty sure we figured out he spent more time waiting for me at the airport than he spent flying from UT, yeah whatevs it was chill.
            So even though I had class ‘er day we still did some down shii: Friday we made the decision to repel out of my second story room into the courtyard below, so after dinner we cruised over to the Outdoor Education Center and I said “I want a couple harnesses, beaners, and 60 meters of rope… FURR FREE!” Got the harnesses and rope, went back to my room, waited for dark, are then set up the steez! We wrapped a few times around the column that made up structural support between my two windows so there were two rope tails hanging down. Of course we repelled simultaneously, like BAMFs. I have it goPro’d but its dark so you cant see jack. But after we got to the bottom I realized I left my keycard in my room some 15-20 ft up, and you cant get in the building without a keycard. So we tried to pull ourselves up the rope (which doesn’t work just the way the repel is set up) and also scale the building while hand adjusting the rope through the beaner as a ‘safety mechanism,’ holding it with one hand… yeah it was a little sketch but so what this is college haha. We decided to just knock or whatever, and as we were exiting the bushes we see a flashlight poking around…naturally we tried to hide but I was right by the sidewalk at this point and the beam eventually found me crouched down. I came out to talk to Campus Sec. He asks me what I’m doing (he hasn’t seen Ri) and Im like “just hangin out in the bushes” then he’s all “what’s that device?” pointing at my climbing harness that Im still wearing. So I told him straight up my name and what I was doing. He verified I was a student (cuz remember I didn’t have my ID) and thats when Ri decided not to come out of hiding which was a great call for he was never seen (and of course does not attend Pomona College). So luckily camp sec is super chill and just documented the incident, but little did they know, and would never find out, that we had bigger plans in the works!
            On Saturday morning we made the decision to buy a slackline and practice hard so as to be able to hit up the BIG ONE the following Thursday. We went to REI and I bought one and we proceeded the next few days to practicar mucho out in the big quad we have here at Pomona. Unfortunately, due to dumbjassness, extreme procrastination, and history essays we couldn’t slackline Tuesday or even Wednesday. A real travesty, I will decree. In any case we decided we would be DFTH anyways to go through with the plan, and the plan was this: We were going to set a slackline from my dorm window two stories up, across to a tree some 10 meters away in the courtyard and walk on it. We planned a bunch and setting it up was a real pain. My 6’7” friend (yeah he’s taller than you glange!) Graham threw a rope throught the first fork of the tree and I had to grab the rope from both sides and with a little boost I had to hand-over-hand pull myself up—mind you the tree had some thorns on the truck which I was none to fond of. Got up there and had to put the slackline around the second fork in the tree, and after much trouble accomplished this, after which Graham brought the line across and tied it to a rope Rily had lowered from my window. He hoisted it up and secured it around the column. I then clipped onto the set up slackline and pulled myself across to the window and climbed in. Now I’m trying to attach a video edit of this sesh that went down and of course some pics, but before you make fun of us for not being able to get all the way across, remember that the tree moves, so one of our anchors is bending, and the line is 50% longer than what we had practiced on (three times, two days before) so it was super swayee not to mention scary AF! We got mad sore and bruised and scraped, but all def worth it.
             Besides this super steez we just had a BLAST scrotin around all the days, even just in my room. So nice to have a homie there that just gets all my jokes and references and I get theirs!!! We had an absolutely heinous episode talking about how stoked we were (for the slackline) which quickly turned to stok-o-meters, dangerously high stoke levels, resident stokologists…really I won’t try and explain, but it sure did escalate quickly! Hmm not sure what else, maybe Ri can supplement with his brain…
            After much waffling around and changes of plans, Thursday night Jackson and his mom came to pick up Rily, I flew home Friday for a long weekend for a deposition (under oath and asking questions) of Johnny, be he pulled a Jacob and flaked hard (just kiddin I love you bud!). Thus I was reduced to a miserable four-day ski weekend…psyche! Now Cobb you’ll appreciate this: some kids built a jump on Wildcat like two slots down from punk rock landing kinda where step up jump run in is, and I befriended them. So in the afternoon I hit this kicker a few times and tried a cork which turned into an underflip that I almost landed, as well as a backflip. Also on punk rock I butter three’d and my favorite: hand drag three’d! Super stoked about that! Sorry to brag and make y’all jealous about the snow, I just couldn’t resist ;)
             Espero que todos usteded esten teniendo experiencias buenísimas y que esten aprendiendo el español (y portugues) muy rápido. Ustedes me faltan mucho pero quiero que ustedes sepan que les amo y siempre les amaré! Dos años no es mucho tiempo, hasta pronto! (Cobb I figured Spanish was so similar to Portuguese that you’d be able to figure this out haha).

The most love,
P-dub

No comments:

Post a Comment